What is Sodium Cyclamate? – Cyclamate is known for its excellent taste. In the right mixing ratio, it can, for example, optimize the sweetener saccharin’s sensory properties.
Further advantages: It can be getting stored for a very long time, and the chemical structure remains unchanged even when exposed to heat.
It makes it ideal for cooking and baking.
Summary and brief information
- Cyclamate is 70 times sweeter than sugar
- Cyclamate has a high sweetening power
- Cyclamate is suitable for cooking, baking
- Cyclamate has an ADI of 7 mg/kg body weight
- Cyclamate is heat stable
- Cyclamate is a sweetener, food additive, sugar substitute
- Cyclamate is getting used for beverages, dairy products, canned fruit, food supplements, table sweeteners, dietary foods.
A related video about “Are Artificial Sweeteners Bad For You?” here to watch.
Video Credit: SciShow
- What is hexyl cinnamal? 5 Best Facts You Need To Know About!
- In 9 Best Easy Steps, “What is sodium citrate?” Explained!
- 8 Easy Steps On “How to make Calendula salve?” The Best Way!
- 7 Easy Steps On “How to make rose oil?” Best DIY Guide!
Table of Contents
What is Sodium Cyclamate? – The Facts About Sodium Cyclamate
Sodium cyclamate is the salt of cyclamic acid produced by the reaction of cyclohexylamine and amino sulfonic acid. It is a purely chemical sweetener, which is about 30 times sweeter than ordinary sugar. Ironically, however, this is the lowest sweetening power of artificial sweeteners.
- Cyclamate was discovered by chance in 1937 when a fever reducer was getting researched, and cyclamate was getting found.
- Visually, sodium cyclamate is a white, crystalline powder that has no odor but tastes very sweet.
- Together with saccharin, the sweetening power is even more reliable.
- The substance is also getting found in food under the E-number E952. Especially dietary foods are sweetened with the content, as they are hardly ever converted into the body and therefore do not promote weight gain.
- Cyclamate is famous as a sweetener because it is very heat stable and can be getting used in cooking and baking.
- Whether or not sodium cyclamate supports weight loss is controversial, because insulin is still getting released due to the sweet taste, but there is no calorie intake, as would be the case with sugar. Therefore, hungry appetite attacks are often the consequence, which is detrimental to weight loss.
Where is cyclamate contained?
Cyclamate is used primarily for sweetening calorie and sugar-reduced drinks. But the additive E952 may also be used in the following products:
- Food supplements
- Dietetic food
- Table Sweetener
- calorie and sugar-reduced dairy products
- calorie and sugar-reduced fruit nectars, jams and marmalades
- calorie- and sugar-reduced fruit and vegetable compote
What dosage is getting recommended?
Experts recommend a maximum daily intake of 7mg of cyclamate per kilogram of body weight. It is the amount that a person can consume every day for a lifetime without any health effects.
Like all sweeteners approved in the USA, cyclamate is subject to the strictest controls. There are no known side effects or undesirable effects.
How dangerous is sodium cyclamate?
Although controversial, caution is getting needed with sodium cyclamate. Although no studies have yet been getting carried out in humans, initial animal experiments have shown that high amounts of sodium cyclamate can under certain circumstances be carcinogenic and harmful to testicles and sperm. More detailed studies on this are still pending.
- The sanctioned intake was getting set at 7mg/kg body weight per day.
- Enormous quantities of the substance are getting permitted in food. For example, maximum levels of 1000mg/kg are allowed in energy-reduced or sugar-free jams and jellies, and food supplements up to 1250mg/kg.
- It’s getting suspected that sodium cyclamate is partially converted by intestinal bacteria in humans and thus enters the body where it cannot be used and can be harmful.
- So even if the harmful properties have only been minimally getting researched, caution is advised due to the high permitted amounts, and one should always look at what is contained in the food when buying it.
- Especially with sugar-free products, which are often getting packed full of sweeteners, you should pay close attention to what substitutes have been getting used.
- Increased use of organic products and cooking fresh yourself will help. With the former, many of the chemical additives are not allowed, and with the latter, you know best what’s in them yourself.
What effects does cyclamate have on the human body?
Unlike conventional sugars, cyclamate is not metabolized and is excreted unchanged via the kidneys.
Since sweeteners do not affect blood sugar, they are particularly suitable for people with diabetes to sweeten teas and coffees.
There is no evidence that the long-term intake of cyclamate harms the human body.
Feel free to share this article about “What is Sodium Cyclamate?” with someone who wants to know more about this topic.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “sweetener” related and different products on Amazon:
- Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener 1:1 Sugar Substitute Keto Non-GMO – See On Amazon.
- Splenda No Calorie Sweetener Value Pack 1000 Individual Packets – See On Amazon.
- Pyure Organic Stevia Sweetener Blend 2:1 Sugar Substitute Granular All-Purpose 1 Pound – See On Amazon.
- Health Garden Monk Fruit Sweetener Classic Non-GMO Gluten-Free 1:1 Sugar Substitute Kosher Keto-Friendly – See On Amazon.