What is sodium citrate? Under the designation E 331, its used as an acidity regulator in the food industry.
Sodium citrate is a sodium salt of citric acid.
The salts of citric acid are also getting approved as acidity regulators for organic products.
See Also: What Is Sodium Cyclamate?
About Sodium Citrate
As the salt of citric acid, sodium citrate is a component of the energy metabolism and thus of every living cell.
The human body converts about two kilograms of citrate. With this, conversion of daily citric acid starts.
It decomposes into carbon dioxide/bicarbonate, incorporated into the metabolism.
Sodium pushes the pH value of urine into the alkaline range. It balances out an excess of acid in the gastrointestinal tract.
The additive also appears as E 331 in the nutritional information in the food industry. Production is by neutralizing caustic soda with citric acid.
It creates mono-, di- and trisodium citrate, each with a different acid effect.
Gene-modified organisms use for production. But organic food permits from non-genetically modified sources.
See Also: Best Foods High In Calcium
Uses of Sodium Citrate
Sodium citrate trades as additive E 331; it is a salt of citric acid in many foods.
An acid salt forms when lye and acid combine; in this case, sodium hydroxide and citric acid.
It’s available as a white, crystalline powder and has a soapy taste.
See Also: The Harms of Fast Food
- There are three different compounds of it: Mono, di, and trisodium citrate. Each one has a different acid effect.
- It is an acidity regulator. These substances are in food to keep its pH constant and improve the shelf life of the food.
- May also helps pectin to get better. Pectin is in jam or marmalade.
- Due to its chemical structure, it can form metal ions. An additional preservative effect of sodium citrate is as it protects foods with unsaturated fatty acids (especially vegetable foods) from spoiling.
- Usage in melting salt for cheese.
- As a preservative in the pharmaceutical and perfume industry.
- In medicine, it restores the mineral balance after severe diarrhea. It is also effective against excessively acidic pH values in the stomach and small intestine.
- Genetically modified organisms can produce the substance.
- If these organisms doesent use for production, we may find in organic products.
See Also: Food For The Brain
Sodium Citrate containing foods
There is no authorization restriction for the use as a food additive for E 331.
Similarly, there is no maximum limit for sodium citrate regarding its addition to foodstuffs.
On production they can use acidity regulator E 331 in the following foods:
- bakery products
- energy drinks
- condensed milk
- canned fruit and vegetables
- meat products
- cut fruit and vegetables
- meat products
- baking powder
See Also: DIY Homemade Fabric Softener
Other areas of use:
E 331 contains in dishwasher granules or silver corrosion inhibitors. We also find it in the cosmetics and pharmaceutical industries.
In the medical field, it combines with other salts. It restores the body’s water and mineral balance after severe diarrhea.
Together with mineral salts, they use to treat acidosis and stomach.
Also, for intestinal flushing against constipation and to dissolve uric acid stones.
See Also: What Are The Benefits Of Fennel?
How dangerous is the substance E 331?
It is harmless to humans, as the body can process it without any problems.
It occurs, together with many other citrates, in human metabolism. Approximately 2 kg of it is getting converted per day in the human body.
Most values are only getting set for goat milk (4g/l).
Most people believe that E 331 is entirely harmless.
There is no quantity restriction for the use of the additive in food. Except for some products such as goat’s milk (4g/l).
The only exceptions are untreated products. Those that may not change due to legal regulations.
Attention allergy sufferers! The molds used in citric acid production can trigger allergies in sensitive people.
See Also: Best Healthy Chinese Food Options Takeout
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “sodium citrate” related and different products on Amazon:
- Pure Sodium Citrate Non-GMO Gluten-Free Vegan OU Kosher Certified – See On Amazon.
- Sodium Citrate 2 lb. By Pure Organic Ingredients For Molecular Gastronomy Cooking and Recipes Mac and Cheese Nacho Cheese Salty and Sour Flavoring Seasoning Preservative and Antioxidant – See On Amazon.
- Judee’s Sodium Citrate 5 lb Non-GMO Food Grade Easy to Dissolve Excellent for Creating Nacho and Queso Cheese Sauces Spherification and Molecular Gastronomy Cooking – See On Amazon.
- It’s Just – Sodium Citrate Food Grade Non-GMO Cheese Sauce Emulsifier Spherification Preserve Foods 11oz – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 28/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral