What is hexyl cinnamal? Hexyl cinnamal, also known as hexyl cinnamaldehyde or hexyl cinnamaldehyde, is a light yellow transparent liquid.
It’s insoluble in water but soluble in oils and is getting used as a fragrance and flavoring agent. Hexyl Cinnamal improves the smell of a product and is used to perfume the skin.
As a fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal is in perfume cosmetics. In nature, we can find Hexyl Cinnamal in chamomile’s essential oils.
Let us examine more deeply what hexyl cinnamal is and where it is getting used.
See Also: What Is Benzyl Alcohol?
Uses of the fragrance hexyl cinnamal
Hexyl Cinnamal is in many essential oils and the leaves of the cinnamon tree. After further chemical processing, it’s primarily used as a fragrance in perfumes.
The substance is also getting used in detergents, deodorants, or toothpaste. In the food industry, Hexyl Cinnamal is getting used as a spice.
See Also: What is Sodium Cyclamate?
How to find out cosmetic product contains hexyl cinnamal?
Manufacturers of cosmetic products must declare cinnamal (hexyl cinnamal) on the list or overview of ingredients.
If there are several open questions or you would like more detailed information, the seller, a pharmacist, or a doctor can help you.
The consumer advice center from the seller is also happy to provide information.
Is Cinnamal (Hexylcinnamal) harmful?
Is it possible to buy cosmetics with Cinnamal, or should one use cosmetics without Hexylcinnamal? Cinnamal is in cosmetic products in such small doses that no problems show up. There is a risk of allergy, but it is low.
In high doses, for example, if the consumer consumes several products with Cinnamal simultaneously, skin irritations can occur. Cinnamal (hexyl cinnamal) is harmful to contact allergy sufferers; the same applies to asthmatics and people with hyperreactive airways.
See Also: What Is Sandalwood?
Health risks of Hexyl Cinnamal
A total of 26 fragrances has an allergic risk and are in a list as ingredients based on the INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) guideline – Hexyl Cinnamal is one of these substances.
However, this regulation only applies if the substance content exceeds 0.01 percent of the final product.
In most cases, manufacturers limit themselves to very low dosages of the fragrances. To avoid health risks with Hexyl Cinnamal for non-allergic persons.
- However, for allergy sufferers, the fragrance is of concern – about 11.5 percent of consumers show allergic reactions to fragrances. Even small doses can be enough to cause skin reactions such as redness, hives, itching, or eczema within 24 to 72 hours.
- If such a reaction occurs in the armpit of frequently deodorant sage, you should check the fragrance ingredients. To be sure about possible allergies, consult a dermatologist.
- For susceptible skin, even a dose below the limit of 0.01 percent can cause a reaction. Therefore, in case of doubt, it is always advisable to consult a doctor.
- Contact allergies are not curable. Consequently, you should avoid the corresponding fragrance in the future. Drugstores and pharmacies offer alternative products that are entirely free of scents.
- Avoid usage on asthmatics, people with hyperreactive (hypersensitive) airways issues.
See Also: Lemongrass Benefits and Side Effects
Cinnamal in cosmetics
Cinnamal or cinnamic aldehyde is in perfumery fragrance and in the composition of oriental perfumes.
The scent is in cosmetics, lipsticks, detergents, toothpaste, and mouthwashes. In the food industry, we find the ingredient as a spice.
See Also: How To Make Lavender Oil?
Why is Cinnamal of concern?
Cinnamal is of concern because it is allergenic like many other fragrances.
Even low concentrations of 0.01 to 0.03 percent cinnamaldehyde in deodorants can cause eczema or allergic skin reactions in the armpit.
Besides this allergic potential, some fragrances, such as synthetic musk compounds, are even suspected of causing cancer.
See Also: Coconut Oil For Tattoo Care
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “fragrances” related and different products on Amazon:
- Inis the Energy of the Sea Cologne Spray 3.3 Fluid Ounce – See On Amazon.
- Ralph by Ralph Lauren for Women – Eau De Toilette Natural Spray 3.4 Fl Oz – See On Amazon.
- Yankee Candle Fragrance Spheres Lemon Lavender – See On Amazon.
- French Lavender Sachets for Drawers and Closets – Fresh Scents Home Fragrance Sachet Pack of 24 Purple – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 24/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral