Symptoms of ketosis – Which signs are in the ketogenic state?
When switching to a ketogenic diet, there is a change in energy metabolism. We have summarized for you which signs indicate a ketogenic state.
Ketosis: What happens in the body during a change in diet.
- Usually, the body gets its energy from glucose, into which ingested carbohydrates are converted. The pancreas produces the hormone insulin to transport this glucose into the cells and make it usable.
- If you no longer supply the body with sufficient carbohydrates through food, insulin production is reduced. The body then no longer needs the hormone because there is hardly any glucose available.
- The body still needs energy, so the metabolism changes and uses other energy sources.
- In the process, the liver converts fat reserves into ketone bodies, and your body now gets its energy from these.
Unpleasant symptoms during the transition
You can tell if your metabolism has switched to the change in energy production by various signs.
- Due to the change and the low blood sugar and insulin levels, you will have a strong feeling of hunger in the first three days after changing your diet to a ketogenic diet.
- You may also experience severe headaches and fatigue. These signs will disappear after a few days.
- Once the body has adjusted to the changed metabolism, ketone bodies are also released through breathing. You will notice this by bad breath. You will smell sweet and sour coming from your mouth.
- You may also experience a salty or metallic taste in your mouth.