The refrigerator keeps running does not switch off: A refrigerator runs day and night, 365 days a year. The compressor only starts when it is too warm in the fridge and has to cool down.
You can hear that the compressor works on the back of the fridge and compresses the refrigerant steam by a soft humming sound. Usually, the noise is not always present.
But sometimes, the appliance vibrates continuously, and the refrigerator does not switch off. What is behind the continuous humming sound, and how do you fix it?
See Also: What To Do When The Refrigerator Does Not Cool Properly?
The refrigerator keeps running: Causes and Solutions.
- The correct position of the refrigerator can gain a lot. Please place it in a relatively cold room where the sun doesn’t reach. The back of the fridge should not be flush with the wall so that the air can circulate freely. Once a year, you should remove dust from the cooling fins on the back of the refrigerator – this will also increase its performance.
- Depending on the time of year, your appliance will have to provide different amounts of power to keep food cold. If it is continuously in operation, the refrigerator is not setup correctly.
- If a layer of ice has formed in the refrigerator, the cooling elements will lose power and operate for longer. The older your refrigerator is, the more often this problem will occur. In this circumstance, you will need to defrost your refrigerator.
- If the refrigerator is in a good position, freshly defrosted and still running all the time, this could be because the door no longer closes properly. Make a quick check: Take a flashlight, turn it on, put it in your refrigerator, and turn off the light in the room. If light shines through the seals, they are leaking. It may be because ice or dirt has settled on the door. Then clean the seals thoroughly and rub them with talcum powder to increase their elasticity. If the seal is already clearly brittle, you should get a replacement at the hardware store.
- If there is nothing wrong with the door, there is probably a mechanical defect. A common weak point is a thermostat, which measures the temperature in the refrigerator. If there is a defect here, you should get a suitable spare part and install it.
- The compressor could also be defective, or the coolant could have leaked. However, these are more complicated damages that not everyone can repair themselves. In this case, you should contact a specialist. If the refrigerator’s warranty has not expired, you should contact the manufacturer’s customer service directly.
See Also: Foods We Can Put In The Freezer?
Refrigerator is in the wrong place
Sometimes, the refrigerator is placed in a too warm place, like near a heater, oven, or in a sunny spot.
Then your refrigerator has no rest and has much more to do than usual to keep the temperature low.
The right place for your refrigerator is a place that is as cool as possible. Check that your refrigerator is in the correct position and change its location if necessary.
Refrigerator needs air
Leave sufficient distance between the appliance and the wall so that the air circulation is not impaired. Experts recommend a length of at least ten centimeters.
If warm air accumulates there, the appliance will have to work more, and the refrigerator will not switch off.
Also, clean the cooling fins, the compressor, and the entire back of the fridge regularly. Dust from the air, cobwebs and other impurities accumulate there.
See Also: Can You Freeze Fresh Carrots?
Set the temperature in the refrigerator correctly
Your refrigerator needs different temperatures throughout the seasons. Set it colder in the summer months when the outside temperatures are hot and humid than in winter when it is cooler indoors.
The highest number on the controller stands for the coldest setting. The temperature controller number is the best set between three and five in summer and one to three in winter.
If you put the temperature too low, your refrigerator will also work more to ensure cooler inside temperatures. The appliance is in a kind of continuous use, and your refrigerator will not switch off.
Refrigerator is iced
The more your refrigerator gets iced up, the more it works – the refrigerator starts more often and runs longer to reach the set temperature and cool your food sufficiently.
Ice on the back wall usually forms when your refrigerator is an older model and the usual age wear has set in. Sometimes the refrigerator seal is porous, or you have opened the refrigerator door too often during the day.
Defrost the refrigerator more often and free it from ice. Then the compressor is also less in use, and the fridge switches off in between. Even if you put too hot food in it or the drain at the back of the appliance is blocked, the device will work more.
See Also: Can You Freeze Cheese?
Buying a refrigerator guide: What you need to know?
Check thermostat and refrigerator seal. A faulty thermostat is sometimes the reason the refrigerator is running all the time. The controller measures the temperature inside the fridge, compares it with the set temperature, and sounds an alarm if it is too warm.
Then the compressor starts, and the appliance cools down. If the thermostat is broken, it no longer regulates the temperature, and you have to replace it.
Also, test if the refrigerator seal is brittle or defective and the refrigerator door does not close properly. More warm air will flow into the interior, the appliance will run at full speed, and the refrigerator will not switch off. You can also replace a seal yourself.
See Also: Can You Freeze Sausages?
A broken compressor or defective refrigeration lines should never be repaired by yourself – these damages are a case for a specialist.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We hope you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from this page’s links. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “refrigerator” related and different products on Amazon:
- RCA RFR322-B 3.2 Cu Ft Single Door Mini Fridge with Freezer RFR322, Platinum, Stainless – See On Amazon.
- Compact refrigerator, TACKLIFE Mini Fridge with Freezer, 3.2 Cu.Ft, Silence, 1 Door, Black, Ideal Small Refrigerator for Bedroom, Office, Dorm, RV – MPBFR321 – See On Amazon.
- FRIGIDAIRE, Stainless Steel FFSS2315TS 33 Inch Side Refrigerator with 22.1 cu. ft. Capacity – See On Amazon.
- hOmeLabs Beverage Refrigerator and Cooler – 120 Can Mini Fridge with Glass Door for Soda Beer or Wine – Small Drink Dispenser Machine for Office or Bar with Adjustable Removable Shelves – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 18/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral