Key broke in lock: It’s not a situation that regularly happens, but It will arrive at the worst possible time and day if it happens!
We’re talking about the broken key in the door lock. Of course, the first thoughts immediately revolve around locksmiths or drilling the door itself.
There are straightforward tricks and methods to get the broken key back out of the door lock.
Let us check it out!
See Also: How To Change Door Lock?
A key break in the lock
How to get a broken key out of a lock? If your key broke in the lock, you could often remove it without a locksmith. For this, you need some skill and patience. We will explain which methods you can use to get the key out.
See Also: Door Lock Jammed
How to remove a broken key from a lock?
- Try to grip the key with pliers and pull it out.
- If nothing happens, use some oil. You can use a can with an extended nozzle to distribute the oil between the key and the lock.
- Gently shake the key with pliers and pull out the remaining metal.
- With the two parts of the key, you can usually have the key copied by a locksmith.
- If the critical key rest is no longer visible, you can try to push it out with a thin, long object.
- Use a wire or a long needle and carefully insert it into the lock from the other side.
- You can try to knock out the rest of the key with a light blow of a hammer.
- If this does not succeed, you should contact a locksmith. In most cases, the locksmith will remove the rest of the key without damaging the lock.
- With an electronic door lock, you will never again have problems with forgotten, lost, or broken keys.
See Also: How To Paint Garage Door?
Broke a key? These three methods should help!
Patience and tact are probably the most important things when the key is getting broken, and it’s a matter of time getting it out of the lock again.
Before tampering with the lock, the key must always be vertical. You should also proceed very carefully. Otherwise, the broken key may slide even deeper into the lock – and ruin the chances of success.
If nothing more helps, the only thing left to do is to call the expensive locksmith.
See Also: How To Clean The Winter Garden?
Push the key away from the other side
This method is the simplest – but only works if you have a double-sided door lock and a second key. It would help if you also got to the other side of the door.
So if you have locked yourself out, you can safely forget this trick. The approach is simple: push the broken key out from the other side of the door using the spare key.
See Also: How To Clean Rubber Products?
Getting the key out of the lock with a fretsaw blade
Do-it-yourselfers and hobbyists have an advantage with this method, provided they have a fretsaw. Your saw blade is skinny and can be getting pushed under the broken key bit with a little bit of skill.
It can hook in and transport the key outside with the appropriate movement. The best saw blade for this method is one with fine teeth for cutting metal.
Getting the key out of the lock with a screwdriver
With the thinnest possible screwdriver – at best from a precision mechanic’s set – you can remove the key with a bit of luck and much patience. Place the screwdriver below and try to get behind a notch in the key bit.
The key can then be getting pulled forward a little to be gripped with tweezers, pliers, or even your fingertips.
See Also: How To Dispose Of Batteries?
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “broken key extractor tool” related and different products on Amazon:
- Full Variety 12 PCS Tweezers – See On Amazon.
- Febrytold 21Pcs Terminals Removal Key Tools Set – See On Amazon.
- TEKTON 6943 Precision Pick and Hook Set – See On Amazon.
- smartgood 10Pcs Multi-Function Broken Key Extractor Set Broken Key Remove Tools – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 30/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral