How to prevent sunburn? – If you enjoy spending time in the sun, you should protect your skin with sunscreen. We have summarized how you can best avoid sunburn in this practical tip for you.
What is sunburn?
Sunburn is a burn of the skin caused by UV rays. It manifests itself by redness, pain, and sometimes itching.
The skin feels hot, taut, and peels after some time. In particularly severe cases of sunburn, blisters even form.
However, the symptoms do not appear immediately – which makes sunburn particularly dangerous.
They often first appear between four and eight hours after the sunburn – the effects reach their peak around 12 to 36 hours afterward.
See Also: Coconut Milk Benefits and Side Effects
How does sunburn develop?
If you stay in the sun too long, at some point, the skin damage can no longer be compensated for by the body’s repair mechanisms.
The UV rays penetrate the skin layers and cause the release of inflammatory messengers. The longer you are exposed to the sun and the more intense the sun exposure, the more severe the sunburn.
Particularly vulnerable areas of the body are the forehead, nose, ears, shoulders, and calves.
People with fair skin and freckles have to be careful with the sun because they are susceptible to light, and their skin can only protect itself from the sun and UV radiation for a short time.
The effects of sunburn
Any sunburn will permanently damage your skin. Although UVB rays do not penetrate deeply into the skin, they cause DNA damage.
Each sunburn increases the risk of later developing malignant melanoma or other skin cancer forms for children and adolescents.
Therefore, responsible exposure to the sun, UV radiation, and conscientious sun protection are essential for your health.
How to prevent sunburn the best way in 11 steps explained
These tips will help you get through your vacation without sunburn:
- If you move out in the sun, your skin can only protect itself between 10 and 30 minutes. Without using sunscreen, you risk sunburn afterward.
- Use sunscreen. The sun protection factor tells you how long you can stay in the sun. For example, with a sun protection factor of 20, you can stay in the sun 20 times as long as without protection.
- If you have incredibly fair skin, you will need a higher SPF ( Sun Protection Factor ) than people with a darker skin tone.
- Apply the suncream 30 minutes before sun exposure to get adequate protection.
- You must get your skin used to the sun’s rays step by step. Increase the length of your sunbaths only slowly.
- UV rays are particularly intense during midday. If possible, avoid the sun during this time.
- Use sunscreen even on cloudy days. Up to 90% of UV rays can penetrate through clouds.
- If you stay in direct sunlight for a more extended time, wear a head covering.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming to maintain protection. By the way, this also applies if you use waterproof creams.
- It would help if you protected young children exceptionally well from sun exposure. Use special sunscreens for children. Infants must not be getting exposed to the blazing sun.
- If you are taking St. John’s wort or antibiotics containing tetracycline, you should stay away from direct sunlight, as these can increase photosensitivity and thus promote sunburn.
How can you prevent sunburn?
The sun’s intensity depends on the time of day and where you are: two to three hours before and after the sun is at its highest, it radiates most strongly.
In the mountains, the radiation is more potent than in the valley, and as you get closer to the equator, the strength of the sun’s rays also increases.
The reflection of the sun’s rays by water, sand, or snow further increases the sun’s intensity.
Whether you are male, female, young, or old, you should use sunscreen all year round to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful effects.
The included antioxidant “Licochalcone” A protects skin cells from free radical damage and thus prevents light-induced skin aging.
Use face sun creme
In particular, the face and hands are regularly exposed to the sun’s rays. For protection, use a sun cream specially developed for the face and is tailored to your skin type.
Some sun creme combines high UV protection with cell and DNA protection and is particularly suitable for normal and dry skin. If your skin often has an oily sheen on the face, you probably have oily skin.
To prevent blemishes and mattify the complexion, you should use a light, non-greasy sun cream.
Some sun gel-creme oil control is ideal for combination skin and blemish-prone skin and provides an anti-shine effect. If you want to hide minor blemishes, you can also reach for a tinted sunscreen.
Protect body parts from the sun
Especially on hot summer days, we wear clothes that show a lot of skin. At the latest, now it becomes necessary to apply sun cream.
You should protect the body, especially when you expose certain body parts to the sun. We should take special care during the first warm and sunny days after winter: The skin is still ashen and sensitive to sun and UV rays.
Therefore, reach for sunscreens with a high sun protection factor. For susceptible skin, we recommend some transparent dry sun sprays. The spray is easy to apply – even on hard-to-reach areas of the body.
What are the best remedies for sunburn?
- Drink water
- Ice packs create a cooling
- Get anti-inflammatory medication from the pharmacy
- Take a shower or take a refreshing bath
- Apply a cooling lotion
- Avoid makeup
- Do not peel off the peeling skin
What should you eat for sunburn?
However, it is essential to note that appropriate foods are not a substitute for sunscreen. Besides, it can take four to six weeks for the active ingredients to accumulate in the body. And even then, the sun protection factor is not high enough to sunbathe without cream.
- Tomatoes with lots of lycopene
- Citrus fruits with a lot of vitamin C
- Fish with a lot of omega-3 fat
- Carrots with a lot of beta-carotene
- Cocoa with a lot of polyphenols
- Do not forget to drink enough water
FAQ Prevent Sunburn
How long does it take to sunburn?
The duration of sunburns depends on how severe the burn has become. As a rule, sunburn appears between four and eight hours after sunbathing. The symptoms reach their peak after 12 to 24 hours, and they then usually subside again after about 72 hours.
Should sunburn be cooled?
In the sunburn case, the first thing to do is get out of the sun and recommend a dermatologist. Then it’s a matter of cooling, for example, under the shower or with damp towels. But be careful.
Which cream helps with sunburn?
For the treatment of sunburn, some cooling foam sprays are suitable. The spray cools and moisturizes sun-damaged skin for a long time and is easy and painless to use. You can check out some bepanthen products.
When does sunburn show?
Sunburn shows its first symptoms about six to eight hours after exposure to the sun. After 24 to 36 hours, the signs reach their peak and then subside again after one to two weeks.
What can be done against severe sunburn?
Staying in a cool room or taking a cool shower is beneficial for overheated skin. What also helps with sunburn are cool, moist compresses, and they can also draw the heat out of the burned skin areas. For example, you can use water or cooled black tea for the compresses.
What is the best way to sleep with sunburn?
For the night, the expert advises soft pajamas and soft sheets. It would be better if you also kept the room temperature low. The goal is to avoid further skin irritation from sweating or scratchy materials.
Does sunburn get better overnight?
Usually, discomfort is gone after 72 hours, most noticeable after 12 to 24 hours. Usually, a mild sunburn heals within a week without late effects since only the top layer of skin is affected.
Why does sunburn hurt?
What makes it so painful? Sunburn is mainly caused by UV-B, the short-wave and high-energy part of solar radiation. This variant of ultraviolet radiation penetrates deep into our skin and damages cell tissue if we spend extreme time in the sun without protection.
What helps against sunburn pharmacy?
Creams and gels against sunburn are suitable. Cooling lotions and gels from drugstores or pharmacies also have a soothing effect while at the same time moisturizing and having an anti-inflammatory effect. The most common active ingredients include aloe vera, and the plant extract has a cooling and soothing effect.
Is fenistil good for sunburn?
It is available in a handy format, cools the affected skin areas, and relieves itching and burning in insect bites and sunburn. Fenistil cooling roll-on is a medical product free of medicinal ingredients, dyes, and fragrances and is suitable for both children and adults.
How quickly do you get skin cancer from sunburn?
However, the problem is that the skin remembers the sunburns and sometimes forms cancer cells very slowly, and cancer then takes 20, 30, or even 40 years to develop.
When do sunburn blisters go away?
Eas signal to heal the epidermis, but it can catch up to two weeks for the affected skin areas to regenerate completely.
Do you turn brown after a sunburn?
You cannot become brown by provoking a sunburn. Incidentally, the skin turning brown is a protective reaction of the body, as less UV radiation can penetrate through it.
What can be done against sunburn home remedies?
Creams or lotions, gels, or sprays suitable for burns also provide relief and help the skin regenerate more quickly. Proven ingredients in sunburn remedies are aloe vera, arnica, calendula, and chamomile because they have a cooling effect on the one hand and an anti-inflammatory effect on the other.
See Also: Cacao Powder Benefits And Side Effects
Protecting yourself effectively from the sun is not difficult.
If you observe the skin’s own protection time and use the appropriate sunscreen together with other aids, you are on the safe side.
Nevertheless, sunburn is sometimes unavoidable in the case of extreme exposure.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We hope you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from this page’s links. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “prevent sunburn” related and different products on Amazon:
- Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Gel | Vegan and Hypoallergenic After Sun Care with Cocoa Butter to Soothe and Hydrate Sunburn Pain Relief | 8 oz, Model: Sun Gel – See On Amazon.
- Neutrogena Age Shield Face Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 110, Oil-Free & Non-Comedogenic Moisturizing Sunscreen to Prevent Signs of Aging, 3 fl. oz – See On Amazon.
- Solar Recover – After Sun Moisturizing Spray (12 Ounce) – Hydrating Facial and Body Mist – 2460 sprays of Sunburn Relief With Vitamin E and Calendula – See On Amazon.
- Sun Bum Cool Down Aloe Vera Lotion | Vegan and Hypoallergenic After Sun Care with Cocoa Butter to Soothe and Hydrate Sunburn Pain Relief | 8 oz – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 15/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral