How to make calendula salve? A right-wound and healing salve help the skin regenerate, keeps it supple, and prevent germs from multiplying.
We can produce an excellent natural cream for healing wounds very cheaply in the home kitchen.
Calendula salve, also called marigold salve, helps with skin injuries and other ailments.
The orange-yellow flowers with active anti-inflammatory ingredients are essential to make a healing calendula salve yourself.
As calendula also promotes wound healing, they are ideal for external application in skin inflammation, open wounds, sunburn, or bruises.
Here we explain how to make the salve yourself.
See Also: How To Prevent Sunburn?
Make from the flower extract calendula salve.
The crucial active ingredients of the plant dissolve only poorly in water, and it is essential to extract them in sufficient quantities beforehand. Olive oil is an excellent extracting agent, as it cares for the skin and smells pleasant.
To produce the flower extract, proceed as follows:
- Temper water bath to about 70°C.
- Place two hands of marigolds with 200 ml of olive oil in a bowl and carefully heat it in the water bath for 30 minutes. But be careful: the flowers must not boil!
- Then let the mixture cool down a little and separate the flowers from the olive oil as completely as possible through a sieve or linen cloth.
- The extract can now be getting incorporated into the salve base. Beeswax or lanolin is particularly suitable as a salve base. It is a secretion from the sebaceous glands of sheep and is relatively close to humans’ skin fat. Alternatively, you can use Vaseline. It is not a natural product and is often cheaper – but it is getting produced on a petroleum basis.
- Temper the water bath to about 45°C.
- Melt about 40g beeswax (alternatively 35g lanolin or 35g Vaseline) in a bowl and slowly add the marigold extract, which has cooled to 45°C while stirring. Make sure that small amounts of the extract are always incorporated until the mixture has a homogenous effect.
- The salve should now slowly cool to room temperature while stirring continuously.
- Pour the finished calendula salve into brown glasses and note the production date before storing them in the refrigerator.
See Also: Benefits Of Chestnut Honey
- The salve should be stored in a cold and dark place, as this is the only way to ensure that it will keep for at least a quarter of a year.
- Pollen allergy sufferers should use lanolin or Vaseline instead of beeswax, as otherwise, allergic reactions on the skin may occur.
- If the salve is too thin, the salve base can be melted again and stirred into the mass.
Effects of Calendula Salve
Calendula salve usage is since the Middle Ages for the superficial treatment of the skin. The medicine based on calendula has numerous health-promoting properties:
- Soothing swelling
- Stimulating circulation and metabolism
Also, calendula salve is suitable for treating external skin conditions and primary care.
See Also: Plant A Garden On Your Balcony
Calendula salve for wound healing
We use calendula salve traditionally to treat wounds due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
By applying, the ointment cleans poorly, heals wounds, and we can also treat burns and cuts with it.
Besides, the healing process is accelerated as the skin’s blood circulation is stimulated.
Still, we should not use the salve on large, open wounds as its components could enter the bloodstream.
See Also: Celery Benefits And Side Effects
The calming effect of the calendula
Calendula has a fundamentally calming impact on the skin, which can provide relief for numerous skin problems.
Whether acne, pimples or sunburn, eczema, or dermatitis, the medicinal plant’s ingredients have a regenerative effect on the skin and should help achieve a healthy complexion.
The calendula is good for acute skin conditions and daily care.
See Also: How To Make Lavender Oil?
FAQ Calendula Salve
For what is marigold ointment good?
Calendula is a proven medicinal plant for the external treatment of skin and mucous membrane wounds. It promotes wound healing and inhibits inflammation.
What can calendula salve do?
It can help with bruises, strains, swellings, hamörrhoids, poorly healing wounds, skin complaints such as eczema, dermatitis, diaper dermatitis, and acne.
Is calendula good for the skin?
The flowers and seeds have an anti-inflammatory effect from inside and outside. Calendula also moisturizes the skin, helps to build firm tissue, and protects it from harmful free radicals.
How long does calendula salve last?
It is best to keep the calendula ointment in a cool place, and we can keep it for about one year.
How do I make marigold salve myself?
Prepare marigold salve: 4 g cocoa butter, 4 g beeswax, one larger pot for a warm water bath. Two clean glasses to melt the ingredients.
What does Calendula do?
Used internally and externally, Calendula is said to have a disinfecting, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing effect.
Which oil for calendula salve?
Mix three ingredients to make the calendula ointment: vegetable oil, beeswax, and calendula blossoms. You can use olive oil, linseed oil, and almond or jojoba oil as vegetable oils.
As a herbal remedy with medicinal effects, calendula ointment can cause side effects in individual cases. If you suffer from specific allergies or observe a deterioration of your skin condition, you should consult a doctor.
See Also: What Is Dandelion Root Good For?
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “calendula” related and different products on Amazon:
- Boiron Calendula 2.5 Ounce Topical First Aid Cream for Cuts Scrapes Chafing and Sunburn – See On Amazon.
- MJ’s Herbals Calendula Salve Skin Soothing Balm Eczema Cream Diaper Rash Scar Treatment Bug Bite Itch Relief Organic Calendula Propolis Beeswax – See On Amazon.
- Calendula Extract Tincture 2 fl oz Low Alcohol Vegetarian Non-GMO Gluten-Free Liquid Supplement by Horbaach – See On Amazon.
- Organic whole calendula flowers 4 oz bag (Marigold) – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 30/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral