How to juice rhubarb? – One of the benefits of rhubarb is that it is very crunchy to the bite. You will experience rhubarb as a very refreshing drink if you juice the vegetable. However, the downside to juicing is that you lose a lot of the fruit in the process.
Features of rhubarb
Rhubarb is a grateful and undemanding garden plant. It requires only abundant watering; otherwise, it is satisfied with a shady location and soil. When harvesting rhubarb stalks, you need to pay attention to the right time: The deadline for the last harvest of the year is St. John’s Day, June 24. It is because rhubarb, over a year, produces more and more toxic oxalic acid. In summer, the level is so high that the rhubarb is no longer suitable for consumption.
How to juice rhubarb?
To juice rhubarb, you only need some necessary utensils available in almost every household and a little time.
- The utensils are a large pot, a large cotton cloth, a strainer, and a large bowl. Furthermore, you will need sterilized bottles.
- After cutting off the leaves of the vegetable, rinse the rhubarb thoroughly.
- After that, chop the rhubarb stalks into tiny pieces.
- Add the rhubarb portions to the pot and set the stovetop to a low temperature. Let the rhubarb simmer for now. Do not forget to stir occasionally.
- If the rhubarb is already well cooked, let it boil again. Only when the vegetable has a mushy consistency can you process it further.
- To do this, take a large bowl and hang a sieve on it. Place a large cotton cloth in the sieve. Make sure that the fabric is a bit big enough so that it cannot slip down.
- Finally, take the pot with the rhubarb puree and pour the vegetables into the cotton cloth.
- Leave the puree to stand for about 24 hours.
Finishing the rhubarb juice
Before you proceed with the production of your rhubarb juice, sterilize some bottles, and the bottles should not be too big.
- Once you open a bottle later, you will need to use the rhubarb juice quickly, as it will not keep for long after that.
- After removing the filter with the cotton cloth from the bowl, boil the rhubarb juice again briefly. Add sugar according to your taste; as a rule, about 300 grams of sugar per five kilograms of rhubarb.
- Finally, pour the rhubarb juice into the sterilized bottles and seal them tightly. Put the bottles in the refrigerator only after they have cooled down. Otherwise, your refrigerator will consume too much energy.
What are the suitable and unsuitable methods of juicing rhubarb?
Experience teaches the amateur cook and gardener that not all juicing methods are suitable for every fruit or vegetable. For juicing rhubarb, you can use the following recommendations as a guide.
It’s better not to juice rhubarb cold.
Rhubarb is a very fibrous vegetable. When juicing with an electric juicer or an electric juicer, it can quickly happen that the fibers get caught in the devices’ tools and have to be constantly getting freed from them. It is enormously time-consuming and drags out the process of juicing.
Since we should heat rhubarb before consumption anyway to render the oxalic acid harmless, hot juicing is preferable to cold juicing.
Two methods you can use to hot juicing rhubarb.
For hot juicing, you have a choice between a cooking pot and a steam juicer. It is easier to use the steam juicer, but juicing rhubarb in the crockpot has the advantage of buying a new kitchen appliance. You can sprinkle a little sugar over the rhubarb to sweeten the juice with either method.
Hot juicing rhubarb in the cooking pot:
- Wash the rhubarb stalks, cut them into two-inch pieces, and place them in a large enough cooking pot.
- Cover the rhubarb pieces with water and boil them for 20 minutes.
- Strain the softly cooked rhubarb through a sieve.
- To clarify the resulting juice, filter it through a muslin cloth.
- If you want to preserve the rhubarb juice, boil it again before pouring it into sterile bottles and sealing them immediately.
Hot juicing rhubarb in the steam juicer:
- Place the washed and cut rhubarb in the fruit basket of the steam juicer.
- Fill the lowest pot of the device with a bit of water, place the juice collection container on top, and fill the fruit basket.
- Close the steam juicer with a lid and put it on the stove for about an hour.
- After this time, pour the resulting rhubarb juice into sterile bottles so it will keep.
- How To Freeze Rhubarb The Best Way In 4 Steps Explained!
- Does apple juice help constipation? 1 Report has the answer!
- Pineapple Juice Benefits and Side Effects – Healthy or Unhealthy?
- Lemon Juice For The Hair – Prevent cracks, Give shine, and Stop dandruff!
Last Updated on 15/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral