How to change door lock? Do you need a new door lock? Maybe even the key in the lock is broken or stuck?
Then the fright is often high. Many people hire an expensive locksmith in such a situation.
Removing a door lock is not that difficult and can be done in a few minutes.
These step-by-step instructions show how to easily remove and replace the door lock and locking cylinder yourself.
See Also: Door Lock Jammed
Changing the door lock
Change the door lock: What you need.
Replacing a door lock yourself is not a big deal – you usually do not need help or a professional on-site. Replace and remove the lock in just a few steps, even by non-specialists.
You only need a little patience and tools:
- Folding rule
- Hexagon key
- Possibly drilling machine
- New door lock
- Possibly new fittings
See Also: How To Drill Aluminum?
Before you go to the DIY store, you should measure the old locking cylinder – there are different sizes at the DIY store, and returns only work with parts still in their original packaging.
When the door is clear, and you have the right tool at hand, we can change the door lock quickly. This straightforward guide will explain how to do this and what you need to do.
See Also: Best Smart Home Devices
Change your door lock quickly in seven steps:
- When you buy a new door lock, it usually comes with a set of keys and a long machine screw.
- Depending on the type of screw that is usually cross-head, you only need the appropriate screwdriver for the tool.
- First, you have to unscrew the machine screw, and it’s getting located on the side of the door.
- Then insert the key to turn the locking nose to a lower position. Quickly pull out the entire lock when the correct location reaches. To find the right place, you need a little bit of sensitivity and a slight back and forth movement of the key.
- Follow the same procedure when installing the new lock. Turn the locking nose with the key downwards to flush with the rest of the safety.
- Then push the block into the correct position in the door fitting. The lock must not protrude on the outside.
- Now screw the new screw into the side of the door to fix the new lock. It must be firmly in place, and it completes the replacement of the door lock.
See Also: Key Broke In Lock
Door lock status
A door like this has to go through a lot:
- We open, close, lock, slam shut, and perhaps even break open over the years, even decades.
- No wonder the wood and the door lock are also affected and worn out.
- If the latter gets stuck or cannot be closed, you should replace the door lock.
- The perfect functioning of a door lock is a prerequisite for privacy and security within your own four walls.
Types of door locks
It must be getting said in advance; not every door lock is like any other.
We can distinguish between door locks for interior doors like room doors, kitchens, bathrooms or exterior doors like a summer house, cellar, apartment, and front doors.
Depending on the door type, the locks also differ in their security. Front door locks are more complex and more challenging to crack than locks for simple room doors.
See Also: How To Paint Garage Door?
Difference between front door locks and apartment door locks
For room doors inside the apartment or house, so-called pin tumbler locks are usually getting used. They typically have a simple lock case.
In contrast, apartment and front doors have more complex and significantly more secure tubular frame locks, security locks with profile cylinders, mortise locks, or self-locking locks.
It is more likely to be referred to as security technology.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “door locks” related and different products on Amazon:
- Keypad Deadbolt Tacklife Electronic Keypad Lock Single Cylinder Front Door Handleset with Polo Knob Featuring 1 Touch Motorized Locking Auto Locking and Easy to Install – See On Amazon.
- Berlin Modisch Privacy Lever Door Handle Thumb – Turn Lock on The Inside for Bedroom or Bathroom with a Satin Nickel Finish Reversible for Right and Left Side with a Door Bumper Wall Protector – See On Amazon.
- Defender Security Satin Nickel U 10827 Door Reinforcement Lock Add Extra High Security to your Home and Prevent Unauthorized Entry 3″ Stop Aluminum Construction Finish – See On Amazon.
- AmazonBasics Exterior Door Knob With Lock Coastal Satin Nickel – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 29/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral