How to bathe a dog? Most dogs do not like bathing, and in most cases, it is not necessary to jump into the bathtub or shower.
Still, situations occur where the bath is the ultimate solution to clean the dog from time to time.
Many dog owners will know the following scenario;
During the walk, the animal companion rolls around in cow dung or bathes in a dirty and stinking pond.
Afterward, he is not only messy but also stinks.
How you should proceed when washing your four-legged friend. What you have to pay attention to, and why you are only rarely allowed to bathe your dog.
See Also: How Often Should You Wash Your Dog?
When is a dog bath essential?
If the dog has dirty paws or wet fur after the walk, he does not need to take a bath immediately.
It is better to brush the dog than to bathe as a rule. Dirt can be getting brushed out when it is dry. To absorb mud water, we can use the ground.
Put a cloth in your car. It will spare your house’s entrance and surroundings from the soil.
Sometimes, dogs can throw themselves into stinking waters or roll in cow dung. In contrast to us humans, the dogs seem to like the smell of cow dung.
A cleaning bath is inevitable if the dog’s stench seems unbearable or the dirt is too persistent.
Dogs may need to take a bath and treat with unique products in the case of skin diseases. Such as skin fungus or parasite infestation.
Consult your vet if you suspect that your dog has caught fleas or skin fungus. Your vet will inform you how to proceed.
See Also: Basic Dog Handling Techniques
Give your dog a correct bath in nine steps!
How to bathe a dog? Dog fur has a natural layer of fat that repels dirt and water and thus cleans the hair.
This protective layer destroys during bathing, and it takes several weeks to regenerate.
Thus, you should only bathe your dog if the coat is soiled. That you cannot brush it out or the dog scale and smells.
If this is the situation, proceed as follows:
Bathing your dog
If you want to bathe your dog, you need the following tools:
- A dog brush
- A special dog shampoo
- A towel
Bath your dog:
- Before taking a bath, put a rubber mat in the bathtub. Ensure that your four-legged friend cannot slip away. At the same time, you prevent scratches in the bath caused by the dog’s claws.
- Adjust the water to a pleasant, lukewarm temperature and ensure that the water jet is not too hard.
- Now rinse your dog in the bath. It is best to start with the paws to get used to the water temperature. Then work your way over your back and stomach towards your head. Take care to avoid the eyes and nose area, as dogs are susceptible in these areas. You can rinse the ears outside but never hold the water jet into the ear.
- Then apply some dog shampoo to your hand and massage it into the coat with gentle movements. It is also best to work over your back and in front of your head. Take care that no shampoo gets into your dog’s eyes and ears.
- Then wash the shampoo from the coat; otherwise, it may cause dry skin and severe itching later. Start from the head and work your way backward bit by bit. Again, no shampoo gets into your dog’s eyes or ears.
- To check whether there is still soap residue in the coat, run your hand over the dog’s hair behind the shower jet. If it foams, there is still some shampoo in it, and you will need to rinse it further.
- Once you have removed the shampoo, brush water out of the coat with your hands.
- Then take a towel and rub the coat dry. But, do not do this too roughly, as this could damage your dog’s hair.
- You can then lift your dog out of the bath again.
See Also: Dogs Like German Shepherds
You can also blow-dry your dog if he is not afraid of it and finds it comfortable.
Yet, keep enough distance so that your dog does not get too hot. Or, your dog can lie down near the heater. Your dog can also dry his coat outside in the sun in summer.
Bathing dogs tips
After preparing everything, place the dog standing in the shower cabin or bathtub. Turn the water on with little pressure.
In summer, you can shower outside with a garden hose, in winter you should stay in the bathroom.
The water jet should be gentle so that it is not uncomfortable for the four-legged friend. Turn the temperature a little cooler than too warm. Too warm water can cause circulation problems and burns for the dog.
Dogs that splashes by walking have no problem with cooler water temperatures.
Start with the paws when rinsing off. Then work your way upwards until the animal roommate’s body is wet.
But, avoid using the showerhead because no water should get into the eyes, ears, or nose.
It is best to use a washcloth for the head area. Soap the wet dog with special shampoo and then rinse it with water.
Ensure that the foam does not get into the dog’s eyes, ears, or nose; it spares the head as a precaution.
After you remove all the shampoo residues, start to dry the dog. If residues remain in the coat, this will lead to itching, which we must avoid.
See Also: Guinea Pig Buying Guide
Drying the dog
If the sun shines in summer, it is an excellent idea to let the dog dry outdoors. In the colder days or months of the year, you must rub him well so that he does not catch a cold.
We recommend drying the dog in the tub with towels and lifting him out. As it is typical for dogs, your darling will shake.
It is best to place a large towel over the wet dog. Or put on a fluffy dog bathrobe to prevent the water from splashing around.
After the procedure, your darling will be happy about a cuddly place at the heating. With a tasty reward, like a chewing bone, you make sure that he stays there for a while.
See Also: Food Poison Symptoms In Dogs
If your animal roommate is still a puppy, remember: Brush instead of a bath.
Before the third month of life, you should not wash your puppy with shampoo. It damages the protective function of the young dog’s skin.
Trust in the self-cleaning coat of your animal. Stress your dog’s sensitive skin only when it is necessary.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We wish you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “dog” related and different products on Amazon:
- Furbo Dog Camera Treat Tossing Full HD Wifi Pet Camera and 2-Way Audio Designed for Dogs Compatible with Alexa As Seen On Ellen – See On Amazon.
- lesotc Pet Water Bottle for Dogs Foldable Lightweight Convenient for Travel BPA Free – See On Amazon.
- Casfuy Dog Nail Grinder Upgraded Professional 2 Speed Electric Rechargeable Pet Nail Trimmer – Painless Paws Grooming & Smoothing for Small Medium Large Dogs – See On Amazon.
- BAAPET 5 FT Strong Dog Leash with Comfortable Padded Handle and Highly Reflective Threads for Medium and Large Dogs – See On Amazon.
Last Updated on 24/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral