Good Fats For Keto Diet
Good fats for keto diet: Fat is the cornerstone of the keto diet. Learn how to ensure optimal fat intake on a ketogenic diet.
Why Are Good Fats For Keto Diet Important?
In the ketogenic diet, fat is a flavor carrier and provides long-lasting satiety. It plays the leading role in the ketogenic diet. Fat keeps you in ketosis and is your primary energy source in fat metabolism.
Especially for keto newbies, it’s essential to ensure you’re eating enough good fats for the keto diet. The calories come mainly from carbs. These carbs need to be replaced, which takes some practice getting used to.
See Also: What Can You Eat On A Keto Diet?
Functions Of Fat In Our Body – Good Fats For Keto Diet
- Fats serve as an energy supplier. They provide about 9 kcal per 1 g of fat and energy storage. IOne gram of carbohydrates or protein has only 4 kcal per 1g – so fats provide twice as much energy.
- They ensure that the body can absorb fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E, and K in the first place. Without fat, it would not even be possible to process these vitamins.
- Fats have a protective, structural, and insulating function. They protect our organs from external influences, are involved in constructing cells and cell membranes. It serve as heat insulation when deposited under the skin.
See Also: What Is Ketogenic Diet Foods?
Types Of Food Fats – Good Fats For Keto Diet
- Saturated fatty acids: We can find saturated fatty acids in high concentration, mainly in animal foods (except fish oil) like butter, sausage, bacon, lard, dairy products, etc., and vegetable fats like coconut oil, palm oil, palm fat, and cocoa butter.
- Unsaturated Fatty Acids: We can find unsaturated fatty acids in olive oil and other vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, avocados, dairy, and animal products.
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids: We can find polyunsaturated fatty acids mainly in plant foods such as oils like safflower oil, hemp oil, linseed oil, nuts, seeds, and fatty sea fish. Also found in small amounts in vegetables, fruits, meat, and dairy products.
- Trans fatty acids: We can find trans fatty acids in high concentrations in finished products. They are usually labeled as follows: hydrogenated fats, partially hydrogenated fats, vegetable fats. Trans fatty acids are formed during hardening (chemical process) of fats, excessive (over 120-130 degrees) heating of polyunsaturated fats, and improper storage of oils and fats (too much light, oxygen, heat…).
See Also: Foods High In Protein Low In Fat
MCT and LCT
- Medium Chain Triglycerides are easy to digest, provide quick energy, and are efficiently converted into ketones by the body, making MCTs attractive, especially for the ketogenic diet. MCTs are found, for example, in coconut and palm kernel fat or special MCT oils.
- Long Chain Triglycerides are somewhat more difficult to digest because they are not water-soluble and can only be digested with the help of bile and digestive enzymes (e.g., pancreatic lipase). Unlike medium-chain fatty acids, LCTs provide energy only slowly.
See Also: Advantages and Disadvantages of the Keto Diet
Good Fats For Keto Diet – How Much Fat Is In It?
Typically, people need 45-80% fat in the ketogenic diet. However, this is only a rough guide. This is because how much fat is required depends on age, physical activity during the day, any illnesses, physical composition, and a few other things.
You can determine your daily calorie needs with the help of a nutritionist or use online calculators to get a quick, rough idea of your calorie needs for the day.
Example fat requirement: A person who has a calorie requirement of about 2000 kcal per day, with a fat requirement of about 70-80%, needs between 144-177 g of fat per day.
See Also: Ketogenic Diet Benefits And Side Effects
Right & Good Fat Consumption For Keto Diet
- If possible, buy fats of organic quality in smaller quantities and consume them quickly (within a few weeks or months) or consume them only fresh. Many fats rapidly become rancid and can then be harmful to health.
- Always store oils and fats in a dark, cool, and tightly closed place, as air, heat, and light spoil the fat.
- For baking, frying, and generally for the warm kitchen, are mainly all oils and fats that contain unsaturated fatty acids. These are, for example, ghee (clarified butter), coconut oil, and palm oil.
- For cold cooking, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids are best used for raw vegetables. These are added to food only after cooking, as they are susceptible to heat.
- We should consume omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in the right proportions, as an imbalance can promote certain diseases.
See Also: Ketogenic Diet Foods Allowed
5 Best Healthy & Good Fats For Keto Diet
- Full-fat foods: Avoid low-fat or “light” products & instead prefer to reach for whole milk, fatty cheeses, fatty meats (often even cheaper than lean meats), and feel free to prepare your food with creme fraiche or sour cream.
- Cook with more fat: When cooking, you can use a little more fat than just one tablespoon. To make your food tastier, you can experiment with different oils and fats. For example, you could use the following fats: Butter, ghee (clarified butter, suitable for lactose intolerance), coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, various nut oils (for example, macadamia or walnut), lard, tallow.
- Enhance dishes with fats: Additional fats can round off the taste of dishes and provide a good portion of fat. You can also garnish many dishes with fat-rich extras such as diced avocado, ham, olives, cheese, nuts, oilseeds, seeds, and so on.
- Fatty snacks: If you like snacking in between meals, feel free to reach for a high-fat snack, such as hard-boiled eggs with mayonnaise, cold cuts like breakfast bacon, etc., cheese cubes, homemade “fat bombs,” olives, or nuts – always make sure the foods you choose are made without additives and are organic.
- Add fat to drinks: Stirring some butter, coconut oil, or odorless MCT oil into a glass, such as cocoa, coffee, or latte macchiato, is also a super simple way to increase its fat intake and again provide a taste for sophistication.
See Also: Ketogenic Diet
Last Updated on 17/03/2022 by Buzz This Viral