Can you freeze fresh carrots? If you expect a plentiful harvest of carrots, you do not have to use them up within a short period. You can also freeze carrots. However, there are some things to consider.
Especially if you grow carrots in your garden, you will often have an abundant harvest and cannot consume the vegetables all at once.
Freezing has the advantage that you can preserve your carrots longer. Up to 9 months later, you can still enjoy fresh crunchy carrots from your garden.
The only important thing to know is that we should blanch the carrots beforehand. You can find out more below in this article.
See Also: How To Store Peppers?
Freezing Carrots In 7 Steps!
We can freeze carrots entirely for storage, and the vegetables last longer and can be consumed little by little. The carrots can be getting keep up to nine months in the freezer.
Quick seven steps to freeze the carrots right:
- Prepare the carrots for freezing by thoroughly cleaning and peeling them. You can also freeze unpeeled carrots. In this case, carefully remove all soil and dirt with a vegetable brush under cold running water.
- After cleaning, it is advisable to cut the carrots into small pieces or slices. In this way, they can be removed from the freezer as required and processed directly.
- Before the carrots are frozen, we should blanch them. It destroys decomposing enzymes, and the frozen product will have a longer shelf life. You can also process the carrots directly without defrosting them later and avoid long cooking times.
- To blanch the carrots, boil them in unsalted water for 3 to 5 minutes and then rinse them with ice water.
- Commercially available freezer bags or tin are suitable for freezing. The less air in them, the longer the shelf life of the frozen carrots, and the more space the packs can be getting stored.
- Spread the carrot pieces on a flat surface next to each other and place them into the freezer for 30 minutes before transferring them into the freezer bag. It prevents the individual pieces from freezing together, and you can remove the vegetables in portions later.
- The carrots last for up to nine months in the freezer.
See Also: Can You Freeze Sausages?
Suitable Carrots For Freezing
We can store carrots for a long time after the harvest, so roots from the supermarket are rarely freshly harvested. But every day they spend outside, the earth gnaws at the quality. These old carrots are also not recommended for the freezer.
Only freeze freshly harvested carrots from your garden. You can also freeze leftover carrots from the supermarket as long as they are flawless and crunchy, and they should not have any rotten spots or mold.
See Also: Beet Benefits And Side Effects
Freeze Carrots: Raw, Blanched, or Cooked?
No choice is necessary here because all three variations are possible. Raw is the quickest, blanching extends the shelf life, and ready-cooked carrots freeze faster when defrosted. Choose the procedure that best meets your requirements. You are also welcome to use all three options if required!
See Also: Can You Freeze Cheese?
Cleaning And Preparing Carrots For Freezing.
Fine soil particles often adhere to carrots; we should always clean them under running water. Any greenery that may still be present is getting removed beforehand. The next step is to peel and chop the carrots into smaller pieces. Neither of these is a prerequisite for the successful freezing of carrots, but it is proving practical. In the frozen state, both are more difficult to accomplish.
See Also: How To Freeze Rhubarb?
Blanching Carrots Briefly
Peeled and chopped carrot pieces can survive frosty temperatures longer without damage if blanched quickly beforehand.
- Fill a large pot with water and let it start to boil.
- Add a portion of carrots and let it cook at medium heat for about three minutes.
- Cool the blanched pieces quickly by putting them in ice water for about two minutes.
- Drain the carrots in a sieve.
See Also: Foods We Can Put In The Freezer
Shock Freezing Carrots
Cooled carrots can be placed directly into tightly closing frozen containers and frozen or shock-frozen beforehand.
During shock freezing, a thin layer of ice forms around each piece, which prevents them from clumping together later.
However, for this protective layer to form, the pieces must not touch each other when frozen.
The best method is to spread them out on a flat tray and place them in the freezer for about two hours.
As soon as the carrots are frozen, they are placed in containers and stored in them sealed.
See Also: Preserving Garlic
Shelf Life Of Freezed Carrots
Blanched carrot pieces can be kept for nine months because placing them to deep-frozen in boiling liquid. Unblanched amounts and puree should be getting consumed within three months.
See Also: Refrigerator Keeps Running
For Below Links Disclaimer: We wish you like the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this page. Prices here are accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here carrots related and different products on Amazon:
- Beta Carotene for Immune and Eye Health by Puritan’s Pride to Support a Healthy Immune System 100 Softgels – See On Amazon
- Pure Hawaiian Spirulina-500 mg Tablets 400 Count – Natural Premium Spirulina from Hawaii – Vegan, Non-GMO, Immunity Support – Superfood Supplement & Natural Multivitamin – See On Amazon
- Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Beef Liver (Desiccated) — Natural Iron, Vitamin A, B12 for Energy (180 Capsules) – See On Amazon
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 Pound (Packaging May Vary) – See On Amazon
Last Updated on 02/04/2022 by Buzz This Viral