What is the best way to cook asparagus? Should we cook asparagus by boiling, in a pan, on the grill or in the microwave? Here is the information!
Table of Contents
Best way to cook asparagus: Boiling asparagus – that’s the way to do it!
From peeling the asparagus to the correct cooking time and the cooking test: we explain how to cook asparagus so that it becomes delicious. The preparation is so easy!
It would help if you always prepared asparagus as fresh as possible; otherwise, it quickly loses its aroma and moisture. If it is not getting used immediately, you can keep asparagus rolled in a damp towel in the fridge until it is getting cooked. This way, it stays fresh longer.
Cooking asparagus – ingredients for four portions
- 2 kg white asparagus
- 2 tsp salt
- One teaspoon sugar
- One tablespoon butter
Best way to cook asparagus – step by step
- Wash and generously peel the asparagus before cooking. To do this, hold the spear under the head and pull the asparagus or asparagus peeler with gentle pressure from top to bottom. Finally, cut off the woody ends.
- Put salt, one teaspoon sugar, and one tablespoon butter in a sufficiently large pot with enough water. The sticks should be covered entirely with water. Bring the water to the boil. Place the peeled asparagus in it, bring it to the boil briefly and then reduce the heat. Allow the asparagus to simmer at low heat for 12-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears.
- Lift the cooked asparagus out of the pot, drain and serve. Homemade sauce hollandaise tastes good with it.
Extra tip: A few splashes of lemon juice in the cooking water ensure that the asparagus retains its white color when cooked.
The Best way to cook asparagus in the oven
The asparagus is cooked in its juice and thus acquires a wonderfully full flavor of its own. If one compares cooked asparagus with it, the cooked one is almost bland.
- It is best not to use sticks that are too thick. We prefer sticks that are 1 – 1.5 cm thick. They are friendly and tender, and you have little waste. First, peel the asparagus thoroughly and cut off the ends. Preheat the oven also 200 °C top/bottom heat or 180 °C circulating air.
- Place two aluminum foil sheets on top of each other and put half a teaspoon of butter on each sheet. Place 8 – 10 stalks of asparagus on top depending on the thickness of the asparagus, the bundles should not be too large. Sprinkle each bunch with half a teaspoon of sugar and a good pinch of salt, then close the first sheet of foil over it and the sides as well. Don’t wrap a tight package but fold it over like a bag on top. Then close the second sheet in the same way.
- Place on the rack in the oven and wait for 40 – 50 minutes. You can test whether the asparagus is cooked by bending the package a little. The easier it is to do this, the softer the asparagus is.
Best way to cook asparagus in a pan
- First, you need to peel the asparagus and cut off the ends. Carefully heat a good pinch of butter in a pan, place the asparagus in the pan, and season with salt and a bit of sugar. Reduce the heat and close the pan with a lid.
- The asparagus should not brown but cook in its juice at low heat. Turn the asparagus after a few minutes. Depending on the depth of the asparagus, the cooking time is about 15-20 minutes. Shortly before the end of the cooking time, when the spears become glassy, drizzle some lemon juice over the asparagus.
- Depending on taste, add butter before serving.
Best way to cook asparagus on the grill
- Wash and peel the asparagus. Rinse and pluck the herbs. You can use anything you find in the garden, like goutweed, sorrel, daisies, etc.
- Double the aluminum foil twice, put one layer of herbs and one layer of butter flakes on each season, then put half the asparagus on each, and then put the herbs and butter flakes on top again. Close the packages well, place them on the grill, and after about 10 minutes, turn them over carefully once. After about 20 minutes, the asparagus is getting done.
- You can also use herb butter, but the taste of fresh herbs is much more intense.
Best way to cook asparagus in the microwave
- Peel the fresh white asparagus, cut off the ends, and wash the asparagus well. Place the wet asparagus on a sufficiently large piece of microwave foil, sprinkle salt and sugar over it, and spread the butter in flakes on top. Now wrap the microwave foil around the ends of the asparagus. Also, cover the long sides around the asparagus so that a leak-proof package is getting formed.
- Place the asparagus packet on a plate in the microwave. Cook at 600 watts for 5 minutes, then add 2 – 4 minutes more, depending on the thickness of the asparagus spears and your preference for the asparagus being firm to bite.
- Take the asparagus out of the microwave; take it out of the foil. Be careful; it is hot.
- Asparagus cooked in this way retains its full flavor because no aroma is getting released into the cooking water.
How long must asparagus cook?
After the peeled asparagus has been getting put into boiling water, it takes 12-15 minutes to cook over low heat. As a cooking test, prick the end of an asparagus spear with a kitchen knife. When the asparagus is soft in the thickest part, but still offers some resistance, it is ready.
You can also check our article about “Asparagus Benefits and Side Effects – Healthy or Unhealthy?“.
You can also check here the best asparagus cookers on Amazon.
Disclaimer: We wish you like the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from the links on this webpage. The prices on this page are accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Feel free this article with someone who likes to eat Asparagus!