Aromatherapy Effects And Applications – What is Aromatherapy? Aromatherapy is the power of essential oils for the body, mind, and soul.
In Aromatherapy, essential oils are getting used to alleviate symptoms of illness or increase well-being.
Therapy with fragrances is said to have an equal influence on the body, mind, and soul and is an independent part of phytotherapy, the treatment with medicinal plants.
- 10 Best And Most Important Medicinal Herbs And Their Effects
- What Oils Help You Sleep? Essential Oils For Insomnia, Sleep Better!
- Which Scents Helps To Increase Productivity At Work? Power of Odors
- 7 Best foods rich in hyaluronic acid – Naturally Beautiful!
Table of Contents
Aromatherapy – The fragrant world of medicinal plants
Aromatherapy performs with essential oils extracted from plants, which evaporate relatively quickly in the air and can be perceived by humans with their noses.
In general, fragrances are getting perceived as pleasant, but individual likes and dislikes are influenced by personal development, among other things.
Essential oils have been getting used in the treatment of the sick for more than 9000 years. Thus, both the Chinese and the ancient Egyptians made use of the powers of plant scents.
In the Middle Ages, they even widely used essential oils against the plague. Various techniques are getting used to obtain the valuable, fragrant oil of the plant. Most essential oils are getting extracted with the help of steam distillation.
Another gentle procedure is cold pressing or expression, which is used primarily to extract peel essences from lemon or orange peels. A very complicated process for the extraction of essential oils is enfleurage.
This gentle process is time-consuming and expensive and is rarely getting performed today. It is easier to extract essential oils using solvents.
However, since solvent residues cannot be ruled out, such oils in Aromatherapy are not recommended. Theoretically, essential oils can be getting produced with distillation, but this is very laborious.
Aromatherapy Effects and Applications
Alternative practitioners or doctors usually practice Aromatherapy. Midwives, masseurs, and psychotherapists also work with fragrances. Of course, some essential oils also belong in the medicine cabinet.
For example, lavender oil can help with burns, and thyme oil is famous for colds. Fragrant oils such as orange oil, rose oil, or lemon oil are also well suited for wellness applications in the home.
A very well-known application of essential oils is vaporization in the fragrance lamp. For this, the essential oil is dropped into the water and heated with a tea light. Fragrance lamps are particularly suitable for arousing emotions and increasing well-being.
This form of application can also be useful for respiratory diseases, just like inhalation. In this way, the oils enter the bloodstream through the bronchi and lungs and reach the target organs.
Essential oils can also be used for local treatment, for example, in the form of compresses or during a massage. For this purpose, however, we should mix the oils with another fatty oil such as jojoba or almond oil.
Another possibility of application is bathing. Prior emulsification is necessary since water and essential oil do not mix.
For various diseases, oral intake may be useful. Like the rubs on acupuncture or reflex points, this form of application belongs in the hands of a therapist.
Please don’t underestimate the fragrant plant oils’ effect! One drop of oil corresponds in its concentration to the amount of up to 40 cups of tea of the corresponding plant.
1. Aromatherapy brings body and soul in harmony
Natural essential oils have many benefits for the human body. When appropriately used, inhaling or massaging with different oils promotes pain relief and can relax and bring mind and body into harmony.
- Healing with essential oils has been known since ancient times.
- It is a healing procedure that is getting carried out with the help of different natural fragrances.
- Aromatherapies can be performed either by a naturopath, by a masseur, or even by yourself at home.
- Aromatherapy is not a medical treatment and is only intended to relax and help your body activate its self-healing powers.
- It is essential to use natural essential oils such as lavender, stone pine, or peppermint oil to achieve the best possible results.
- For example, in Aromatherapy, you can use a fragrance lamp because, with a fragrance lamp, the essential oil is getting heated. In the process, the fragrance is getting released. As soon as you inhale it, the oil unfolds its effect, for example, by having a calming effect on your mind.
- However, Aromatherapy can be performed in the same way as a massage, by massaging you with suitable oil.
- Besides, essential oils are suitable for compresses and a whole body bath or a sitz bath.
- The effect always depends on the oil used. Lavender oil has a calming effect, while lemongrass oil invigorates the body.
2. Choosing the right oil for Aromatherapy
Depending on the result you want to achieve, you need a suitable oil. However, as an allergy sufferer, you should exercise caution. If allergic symptoms become noticeable, discontinue the application with the respective oil.
- Peppermint oil has a positive effect on headaches.
- Anxiety and depressive moods can be getting banished with the help of jasmine oil, for example.
- You can alleviate diseases of the respiratory tract with eucalyptus oil.
- If you are allergic to certain substances, be careful with the essential oils. Direct skin contact should also be getting avoided, as undiluted oils could corrode the skin.
- Scented lamps should never burn all day, as too many fragrances in the air can cause headaches. Also, always dilute the oil with a small amount of water before adding it to the fragrance lamp.
- Always use a sparing amount of essential oils. Never add more than five drops of the oil to a fragrance bowl.
- For baths, about ten drops are perfectly adequate.
3. Aromatherapy Helps with depression and sleep disorders
Aromatherapies have a primarily positive effect on people with depressive moods, sleep disorders, and stress. Certain oils can effectively alleviate the symptoms.
- Against depression, it is best to use orange oil.
- Stress is getting triggered by many factors and especially by lack of rest. Therefore, choose a calming oil. For example, lavender, rosemary, thyme, pine, or chamomile oil is suitable for this purpose.
- For more concentration, it is best to use eucalyptus, lemongrass, basil, or rosemary oil.
- Valerian and lavender oil ensure a restful sleep.
- Headaches and other pains can be getting alleviated with peppermint oil, for example.
FAQ Aromatherapy Effects And Applications
How does aromatherapy work?
The scientifically defined aromatherapy assumes that essential oils trigger emotional reactions in the brain via the sense of smell. Thus, a pleasant scent can have a relaxing and mood-lifting effect, positively influencing healing processes.
Which essential oil for depression?
Basil reduces stress, anxiety, and depression. Chamomile calms emotions and nervous tension. Clary sage relieves anxiety, reduces stress, calms panic attacks, and has an antidepressant effect. Geranium also relieves anxiety, alleviates stress, and improves stress-related exhaustion.
What essential oils for good sleep?
Their balancing and relaxing effect are known, among others, the essential oils of lavender, lemon balm, nard, neroli, clary sage, ho leaves, basil, and bergamot.
Which essential oil promotes concentration?
Peppermint oil is a fast-acting essential oil. In mental exhaustion, overwork, or poor memory, it has a stimulating effect and promotes concentration. The smell of lemongrass has a comparable impact.
Which scents are calming?
A fragrance blend for relaxation contains, among others, neroli, lemon balm, lavender, rose, and chamomile. Vanilla and angelica root is also calming. One of the best scents to calm the nerves is pure chamomile. And lavender is the classic for stress.
Which fragrances have a mood-lifting effect?
Peppermint has a stimulating, liberating, and clarifying effect on migraines; it supports concentration during mental work. Lemon has a refreshing and invigorating effect, promotes engagement. Orange and tangerine have a warming and mood-lifting effect. Vanilla has an aphrodisiac, stimulating, and warming effect.
Which scents make us happy?
Far ahead are fragrances such as citrus notes, bergamot, vanilla, or even lavender because they all trigger feelings of happiness in us in different ways.
What does the orange fragrance do?
Orange essential oil smells very feminine and warm. The oil is said to stimulate the hormone enkephalin, which translates into a mood-lifting feeling. The orange scent helps against the effects of the lack of light in winter and stimulates the pineal gland.
Which essential oils are suitable for children?
Particularly mild essential oils are recommended for children, such as angelica root - antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, physically strengthening, and calming. Fennel - stomachic, anti-flatulent, expectorant, restorative. Geranium - antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, refreshing.
Which essential oil has a calming effect?
Several studies have shown that lavender oil promotes balance, has a relaxing and calming effect. Lavender essential oil is perfect to put in a fragrance lamp together with some water before sleeping or to drip it on a piece of cloth and put it next to the bed.
Feel free to share this article about “Aromatherapy Effects And Applications” with someone who wants to know more about this topic.
For Below Links A Disclaimer: We hope you like here the goods we recommend. FYI: Buzz This Viral may receive a commission of sales or other benefits from this page’s links. Prices are here accurate and items in stock as of the time of writing.
Check out here “Aromatherapy” related and different products on Amazon:
- Vicks VapoShower, Shower Bomb Tablets, Soothing Vicks Vapors Steam Aromatherapy with Eucalyptus and Menthol, Non-Medicated, 12 Tablets (4 Boxes of 3) – See On Amazon.
- Ultimate Aromatherapy Diffuser & Essential Oil Set – Ultrasonic Diffuser & Top 10 Essential Oils – 300ml Diffuser with 4 Timer & 7 Ambient Light Settings – Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils – Lavender – See On Amazon.
- InnoGear Essential Oil Diffuser, Upgraded Diffusers for Essential Oils Aromatherapy Diffuser Cool Mist Humidifier with 7 Colors Lights 2 Mist Mode Waterless Auto-Off for Home Office Room, Basic White – See On Amazon.
- SPACEKEEPER Ceramic Backflow Incense Holder Waterfall Incense Burner, with 120 Backflow Incense Cones + 30 Incense Stick, Aromatherapy Ornament Home Decor, Blue Set – See On Amazon.